One new compact digital camera, Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS, has been released recently by Canon. This latest model of compact camera line up is the successor of the PowerShot SD1400 IS and it had kept the same sleek compact size of SD1400 IS. However, 12-MP PowerShot Elph 300 HS has been improved upon its previous version in several significant ways. The Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS is featured with a 12-MP resolution and 5x zoom lens. This new device comes with a compact slim design and a comfortable hold.
The ELPH 300 HS comes with a 12.1 MP CMOS sensor in comparison to the 14.1 MP CCD sensor of the predecessor. This new sensor is intended to provide the camera with faster speed and improved low light image quality. The PowerShot ELPH 300 HS provides a 5x ultra-wide optical zoom lens with onboard optical image stabilization technology, in comparison with 4x optical zoom lens of predecessor. The new device has also a wider angle of view, 24mm in comparison to predecessor’s 28mm.
It has a higher quality video mode with the resolution of 1920 x 1080 in full HD at 24 fps, compared to 1280 x 720 at 30 fps of predecessor. It offers the capability of recording 1080p HD movies with stereo sound by use of the dedicated 1-touch movie recording button. ELPH 300 HS also includes the Canon HS System which is intended to improve image quality and to offer advanced low light performance. This device also sports 2.7” LCD monitor combined with easy to use camera operation.
The ELPH 300 HS is powered with a latest processor of Canon, DIGIC 4. This device comes with several new features which are not present in the previous cameras, for instance, a Super Slow Motion video mode that can record video at up to 240 frames per second.
The ELPH 300 HS sports an LCD monitor with 2.7” diameter in an aspect ratio of 4 x 3. It has LCD coverage of 100% and it contains roughly 230,000 dots. You can adjust LCD to 1 of 5 different brightness levels. However, the LCD lacks a viewfinder like all recent small cameras.
For the testing of LCD brightness, measurements of contrast ratio and a brightness unit (nits) are necessary. LCD having a peak brightness of minimum 500 nits and a contrast ratio over 500:1 are considered as the best LCD monitors. The LCD monitor of ELPH 300 HS provides peak brightness of 760 nits and a contrast ratio of 752:1, that are really very good scores.
Design and dimensions
This ultra-compact device, ELPH 300 HS, had maintained the similar very small & sleek look of the predecessor camera. This device is packed in a metallic body. Dimension wise, this camera measures 92.2mm x 55.9mm x 19.5mm (3.63”x 2.2”x 0.77”) and it weighs 141g without battery. In spite of its small size, it feels sturdy and hard in the hand. The camera is available in attractive silver, black and red colors. The camera contains large buttons and that will be really valued by persons having large fingers.
The ELPH 300 HS will be supplied with certain accessories such as a battery charger, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack (NB-4L), an audio-visual cable, a USB cable, a wrist strap, a CD containing the User Guide, a short paper Getting Started guide and ZoomBrowser EX photo organizing software of Canon. This device is available at the price tag of $249.99 in the US and $279.99 in Canada.
Ergonomics and controls
The shape of ELPH 300 HS is rectangular with delicately rounded corners. A telescoping zoom lens has been placed at the slightly off-center in front of the camera. In the upper corner, a thin flash is placed, under that an auto focus assist lamp is placed which doubles as a self-timer indicator. The placing of the flash is a trouble, as it can be dammed by the fingers used to steady the camera.
The top plate of camera contains a shutter button with a speaker & a zoom ring, a power button, and 2 holes for stereo microphones. The zoom ring and the buttons work efficiently and smoothly. One side of the camera contains a covered compartment for the HDMI & USB ports and the wrist strap mount, while the other side is featureless.
The rear side of camera contains LCD monitor of 2.7” diameter with 4:3 aspect ratio. Nearby the monitor, a dedicated movie button is placed that makes stopping and starting movie recording much more expedient than seeking movie mode in the menu of camera. At the right of the movie button, there is a switch for selecting between a camera icon and Smart Auto that is basically Program AE.
A large circular selector with a function button in the center is placed below the movie button and switch. The top portion of the selector controls exposure compensation; bottom portion provides a detailed display on the LCD monitor; right portion controls flash and the left portion controls distance settings until the camera is in Smart Auto mode.
The buttons for menu and playback are provided below the selector dial. The playback button is provided for the access to stored videos and photos, even when the camera is not activated. All of the buttons function well.
The bottom plate contains metal tripod socket that is located centrally. The combination memory card and battery compartment is offset, and the cover of compartment is prepared of plastic, but is well-assembled.
The ELPH 300 HS comes with 3 basic shooting modes.
1) Smart Auto Mode: In this Mode, camera selects the most appropriate settings on the basis of the existing shooting conditions. It selects one of the camera's scene modes from low light, kids and pets, handheld night, snow, macro, foliage, beach, fireworks and others.
2) Program AE Mode: With this Mode, camera permits access to each and every menu options; including white balance, all scene modes and ISO, even if the camera automatically choose the shutter speed and aperture. Many additional modes are also there which you can access under Program AE; for instance, Smart Shutter for detecting smile, a wink & a new face, Best Image Selection for selecting the best shot from 5 consecutive shots, Handheld Nightscene for night shooting without a tripod, Color Accent for retaining a single color, My Colors for the settings of various color tones and adjusting color saturation, sharpness and contrast.
3) Movie Mode: Movie can be captured with the resolution of 320 x 240 at 30 fps, 640 x 480 at 30 fps, 1280 x 720 at 30 fps and 1920 x 1080 (full HD) at 24 fps. Optical zoom is also available and audio will be recorded in stereo during recording. Super Slow Motion mode is available here that can capture movie at 320 x 240 at 240 fps or 640 x 480 at 120 fps. The features like Movie Digest and a miniature effect are also there.
This latest camera’s performance is average in some aspect, and good in some other aspects. When we talk about shooting performance, it is very reliable camera to get focus and shooting. It shows literally good performance regarding to focus speed. The battery performance is also good and it can deliver up to 220 shots /charge. As far as lens performance is concerned, the lens remains constantly sharp all through the frame and also at maximum zoom with minimal chromatic aberration.
So overall, we can say that, The ELPH 300 HS is very good, reasonably priced, user-friendly camera with excellent ergonomics.
- Instant startup
- Excellent ergonomics
- Fun-to-use ultra compact
- Excellent photo quality
- High quality video
- Occasional overexposure
- Flash is inconveniently located
- Poorly attached port cover
Key features and specs of Powershot ELPH 300 HS
- Lens: 5x zoom, 24mm wide with dynamic and optical image stabilization
- Viewfinder: 2.7” 230 K PureColor LCD
- Resolution: 12.10 Megapixels
- Movie recording: 1080p HD full HD with stereo sound
- Dimensions: 3.6 x 2.2 x 0.8 in. (92 x 56 x 20 mm)
- Weight: 5.0 oz (141 g)
- Battery type: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery, up to 220 shots
- DIGIC 4 Image Processor
- Face Detection, Face Self-Timer, Auto Redeye Correction
- Smart Auto, Smart Flash Exposure modes
- One touch movie recording button
- Motion Detection Technology
- HS System for enhanced image quality and low light performance
- Auto Creative shooting modes
Canon PowerShot Elph 300 HS Review video from YouTube
You Might Also Like :
- G Force Movies on Demand Sweepstakes Information
- Target Christmas Sales 2009-2010 & Christmas Deals for 2009
- Mini Digital Camcorders of 2010 - Price & Reviews
- Microsoft Bing Earth Day Photo Contest by Earthdayphotocontest.com
- Intex V.Show Mini Theatre IN 8809 Phone : Review & Specs
- Olympus VH-410: Specs of touchscreen Compact Digital Camera