Income Tax Refund is the refund of tax when a person has paid more tax than liability tax. Indian taxpayers who had filed ITR, waiting for refund and don’t know their ITR status can check their Income Tax Refund status online with a click of mouse. This service is known as “Refund Banker Scheme” which is provided by TIN-NSDL website. The site provides ITR status from assessment year 2003-04 to 2012-13. This online facility to check ITR status is quick, easy and safe. You just need your PAN card number to check the status.
Refund Banker Scheme has been started from 24th January, 2007 by the income tax (I-T) department. It is available for non-corporate taxpayers who are assessed throughout India, except companies and trusts. State Bank of India handles the entire refund process and sends the refund intimation to taxpayer. The refund will be sent in two forms such as cheques/drafts or ECS. If the taxpayer selects ECS payment mode, the refund will be credited directly into the bank account and if he chooses cheque mode, then a cheque will be sent by CMP branch of SBI.
The taxpayer must tell its Assessing Officer if his correspondence address has been changed or he has shifted his residence. The Assessing Officer of taxpayer will send the refund for refund banker. Then after 10 days, the taxpayer will get the status of the refund. TIN-NSDL website will give the refund status for those taxpayers whose refunds are to go through “Refund Banker Scheme”. If the taxpayer doesn’t get tax refund within 1 year from the filing date, then he can visit the office of tax department for the record of the refund. Otherwise, he can send a complaint letter with the photocopy of the tax return acknowledgement to the concerned Income Tax Assessing Officer.
Taxpayer must mention the details of bank account such as bank, branch and MICR code clearly in the tax return form for faster processing of refunds. If the taxpayers who are living in Mumbai have not received their return, then the return may be undelivered. Income tax dept of Mumbai has given refund undelivered on his site where you can check your name in the list.
How to know Income Tax Refund Status online?
- Visit NSDL website and click on “Status of Tax Refunds”.
- Enter your PAN card number in the available box and select the assessment year for which you want to know the status.
- Then click on the “Submit” button.
- If the refund has been already sent to the refund banker, then after entering the above details this status will be displayed, “Refund is already credited to your bank, please contact your bank.”
- You can also contact SBI’s help desk at 18004259760 (toll free) or email at: firstname.lastname@example.org to know the refund status.
You Might Also Like :
- How do I calculate my Tax Return and Refund for 2013 in India?
- Guide to Check IRS Refund Status
- Income Tax Challan 280 Form - Advance Tax Challan ITNS 280 Download
- Income tax efiling india at incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in website
- Federal tax brackets 2009-2010
- How to Make e-Payment of Service Tax at cbec.nsdl.com?