World sleep day is an international annual event, which is organized by the World Association of Sleep Medicine (WASM). World Sleep Day 2010 is being detained on 19th March, under the slogan "Sleep Well, Stay Healthy". World Sleep Day 2010 is the third annual world sleep day. It is intended to both celebrate the act of sleeping and to help raise awareness for bedtime-related issues, like improving slumber quality and educating people about various sleep disorders.
Logo of World Sleep Day
Event of this year includes the organization of local groups promoting sleep health, a competition of best productions celebrating World Sleep Day, presentation of educational materials and exhibition of historic videos. Sleep is basic human need for human being, much like eating and drinking. Studies suggest that sleep quality as well as quantity, impacts our life. On an average, normal adults need to 7-8 hours of perfect sleep, teenagers need 9 hours and elders need to 5 to 6 hours for sleeping.
The 3rd world sleep day is Co-chaired by Culebras, MD, professor of neurology at SUNY, Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, New York, and Liborio Parrino, MD, of Parma, Italy, and WASM's Executive Director Allan O'Bryan.
The world sleep day event takes place online, featuring the organization of local groups promoting sleep health, presentation of educational materials, an award presentation to the best creation and exhibition of historic videos.
“Sleep is an essential commodity, which should not be dispensed with, as it cannot be compensated with anything else. It has a strong relationship with health, so we need to look after it well” According to Dr Manvir Bhatia, Chairperson Sleep Medicine and Senior Consultant, Department of Neurology, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi.
The World Sleep Day declaration is as follows:
- Whereas, sleepiness and sleeplessness constitute a global epidemic that threatens health and quality of life,
- Whereas, much can be done to prevent and treat sleepiness and sleeplessness,
- Whereas, professional and public awareness are the firsts steps to action,
- We hereby DECLARE that the disorders of sleep are preventable and treatable medical conditions in every country of the world.
10 commandments of sleep hygiene:
- Fix a bedtime and an awakening time
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed
- Use comfortable bedding
- Find a comfortable temperature setting for sleeping and keep the room well ventilated.
- Block out all distracting noise and eliminate as much light as possible.
- If you are in the habit of taking siestas do not exceed 45 minutes of daytime sleep.
- Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods four hours before bedtime. A light snack before bed is acceptable.
- Avoid excessive alcohol ingestion 4 hours before bedtime and do not smoke.
- Avoid caffeine six hours before bedtime. This includes coffee, tea and many sodas, as well as chocolate.
- Reserve the bed for sleep and sex. Do not use the bed as an office, workroom or recreation room.
Sleep problems make a global wave that threatens health and quality of life. Sleep plays an important role in metabolic, cognitive, restorative, immune, and endocrine functions. Sleep is essential to be attentive to best navigate daily tasks, research shows sleep may also be a factor in growth, regeneration, and memory. It is estimated that in the recent time more than 60% adults are suffering from clinically recognizable insomnia and approximately 80 disorders occur with the lack of quality sleep. The lack of sleep is harmful to health in ways such as the development of high blood pressure, obesity, diabetes and other chronic ailments in those who consume less than 6 hours nightly.
Benefit of sleep
- Improved memory and cognitive functions
- Body is more flexible and willing to work
- Organize memories, as well as help you to recover memories
- Helps to concentrate more on work or school
- Sleep goes a long way in determining how you look and feel. Make you look younger and improve your appearance.
- Can help us live longer
- Benefit to our overall health and general wellbeing
- Provide a healthier life
- Feel more energetic and better prepared to face physical activities
Source : http://worldsleepday.wasmonline.org.
You Might Also Like :